Wikipedia editor 'warriors' fight lies, bigotry and even Naz

Wikipedia editor 'warriors' fight lies, bigotry and even Naz

Postby geemong » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:58 am

Wikipedia editor 'warriors' fight lies, bigotry and even Nazis

False COVID-19 death reports, a vast gender gap, Nazi "fan fiction": These are some of the perils an international crowd of volunteers battle across Wikipedia's tens of millions of online entries.

Some ดาวน์โหลด slot wallet avoid progressive games due to high volatility. Regular slots have a set number of jackpots.

The world's largest Internet encyclopedia is often the first result to pop up when users ask the Internet a question - and thus a massively influential source of free information but which also reflects humanity's faults.

With entries that can in theory be written by anyone with an Internet connection - in around 300 languages - it comes down to editing by mostly anonymous volunteers to police the site.

"I always carry my laptop along wherever I go, to edit Wikipedia," said Alaa Najjar, who is based in the Middle East, but asked that specific details about his identity be omitted to protect his privacy.

"It is an addiction, as my friends say. I prefer to say it's my passion," he told AFP by email

Najjar said he contributes to almost 500 entries a week, and as a medical doctor he has been busy fighting a flood of false information unleashed during the pandemic.

Among the strains of misinformation that surfaced on Wikipedia, he has spotted false reports COVID-19 had killed notable people and inaccurate boosting of some nations' death and case numbers.

"I reviewed hundreds of articles during the COVID-19 pandemic, and rejected many misleading or erroneous amendments," said Najjar, who got the platform's top honor in 2021 for his work.

The 20-year-old encyclopedia - which even has an article devoted to its own controversies - has received positive accolades in recent years for its fact-checking capacities.
geemong

Return to General